I had a rare brain disease when I was born. According to research online, I had PKU (Phenylketonuria). It was a disease that was rare ... 1 in 10,000 had this. I could not eat red meat or my brain would not develop. I began to drink some kind of special milk to help maintain the functioning of my brain till I was 8.
I began to take 2 hour brain tests at a hospital once every year to insure my brain was working properly.
They would give me reading tests, calculation tests and also spelling tests.
The process was grueling but in the end --- I was OK.
I was forbidden to eat nutrasweet or any type of substitute sugar of any kind or I may relapse into dysfunction of the brain.
In few instances, I have some unusual responses during conversation in which I may sound as if I am retarded.
But for the most part I am normal as the next person. The doctors felt that I would be fine.
This was the first hardship of life that I had to endure in my early days as a youth.
Welcome to my Datalife.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
I Was Almost Born Mentally Retarded ...
Posted by My Datalife at 12:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment